Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Running

There's something extremely refreshing about taking a long jog in fourteen degree weather as the sun sets and night fades in. The sun setting off in the distance, shedding its last bit of pink light on the tops of the mountains was almost too picturesque to be true.

I had the chance to take all that in tonight. It was after a long, busy day of classes and homework. I was super tired all day and didn't want to go, but I figured I would feel good after working out so I suited up and went.

I didn't know where I was going, I just took off and let my legs take me wherever they desired. As soon as I hit my rhythm, I just kept going. I jogged for at least half an hour in the brisk mountain air. The sidewalk was sporadically covered with footprint-laden ice left over from a recent snow storm, thereby making the run a little extra challenging and exciting. The condensation from my breath floated up and got stuck to the beanie I was wearing, causing a layer of frost to gather on the front of it. It was so cold, but so worth it. I felt free. I felt like I could run forever. I ran away from everything. I even ran away from myself.

My mind is one of my personal challenges. I tend to dwell on the past too much, become wrapped up in small things, and lose perspective. That's a very summarized version of the thoughts that cloud my daily living, sneaking their way in and out of the good, happy moments and thoughts I have.

While I was on the run, it was me and a clear mind filled only with the thrill of putting one foot in front of the other on a beautiful winter evening. Not a care in the world, whether social, personal, spiritual, or whatever else the case may be, crossed my mind once. I was amazed at how good I felt with a clear mind, an exercising body, and a perfect setting.

I will continue with my workouts, though I don't expect all to be equally amazing. Every once in a while something might click and I'll hit my stride, but for the rest of the time I'll enjoy working out for the sake of staying in shape.

Sometimes you just have to run away from everything, just get away and have some time for yourself and a clear mind. After such a refreshing experience, it is now my responsibility to learn how to deal with the thinking mind that I experience all the rest of the time. That's not a bad thing, just something that, as I work on it, will make me a stronger, better, and happier person.

Our minds are powerful tools, let's learn to use them wisely.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliantly written, mate. I never discovered that "runner's high," and this laziness makes it seem like I never will. This post might actually motivate me to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Andre! Why don't you update your blog more often? I really enjoyed reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Your pic is so nice!
    2) I like what you have done with the blog.
    3) "My mind is one of my personal challenges. I tend to dwell on the past too much, become wrapped up in small things, and lose perspective. That's a very summarized version of the thoughts that cloud my daily living, sneaking their way in and out of the good, happy moments and thoughts I have."
    ^^^too true, my friend
    4) I enjoyed reading this.
    5) I love/miss you!

    <3 Roopali

    ReplyDelete