Saturday, October 30, 2010

Nature

There are some things in life you would love to do more often but can never seem to find the time. My blog would be one of those things for me.

I'm a sucker for pretty nature scenes. There is nothing that puts you in your place and gives you greater perspective in life than when you look at the beauty and majesty of the earth and the sky above us. I am blessed to be at BYU where I am surrounded by beauty. I look out my window and see luscious fall colors on the trees with striking green contrast in the grass below. Behind all of this is the backdrop of beautiful snow-capped mountains.

I've hiked those mountains a few times this semester and have had the opportunity of looking out over Utah Valley and up above at the stars. I love looking out over huge expanses, especially when in a plane. It's really refreshing for me to gain eternal perspective like that when I feel like my days are clouded with narrow and short-term perspective.

Night skies overwhelm me. Just thinking of what's out there and how eternal the sky is blows my mind. I also love the symbolism of the sky. Example: Some of the stars we see now may not even exist anymore because they are so many light-years away. Wouldn't it be nice if we could live our lives like that? So well that our light and legacy left a bright spot in a dark world, even long after we were gone.

Nature also reminds me that there is a God. Such grand and profound beauty doesn't just happen. It's nice being outside and enjoying nature because it makes me feel closer to God.

I could geek out for hours about the wonderful nature scenes I've seen in my life, but I think I'll just go outside again and let nature speak for itself. You should too and see what you can gain from it. You'll never be let down by mother nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment